Special Residency Opportunity: Working Residency During Blown Away on the Bayou Blues & Harmonica Summit
October 11 to October 25, 2023
Focus for Special Residency Opportunity:
The residency offers a unique opportunity for two artists from all disciplines to delve deep into the cultural heritage of Acadiana and experience the dynamic music scene and legacy specific to this region.
Disciplines open to apply:
Open to artists of all disciplines – painters, musicians, dancers, filmmakers, writers, and more. If you are passionate about cultural exchange and eager to be inspired by the unique heritage of Acadiana, we encourage you to apply.
Residency Application Deadline:
September 25, 2023
Sunset, Louisiana (full address provided during application submission)
Campus Wheelchair Accessible?
The Whirlybird Compound Artist Residency Program is a haven for artists, founded by artists – Christy and Jim. Our aim is to provide a supportive, uplifting, and culturally immersive environment where artists can flourish. Located in the enchanting St. Landry Parish of South Louisiana, our Folk Art-inspired compound boasts three spacious repurposed buildings and an outdoor bandstand, all designed to offer artists the perfect setting to create and thrive.
The Whirlybird Compound Artist Residency Program is thrilled to invite professional and emerging artists from all disciplines to apply for a Special Residency Opportunity: Workshop Residency during Blown Away on the Bayou Blues & Harmonica Summit. Discover the heart of Acadiana and The Blues at our second annual Blown Away on the Bayou Harmonica & Blues Summit, taking place from October 18 to October 22, 2023.
Whether you are drawn to immerse yourself in the Blown Away On The Bayou Blues and Harmonica Summit or have a distinct artistic project in mind, we welcome your application. Selected Artist in Residence will have the opportunity to participate (Summit registration fees fully covered) in all scheduled activities for the Summit, while also working on their own distinct artistic project. This dedicated residency strives to provide an environment for artists to engage with the Summit while also creating and flourishing in a supportive, culturally immersive environment.
About Blown Away on the Bayou:
Blown Away On The Bayou is an immersive event featuring world-class musicians and instructors from Louisiana and beyond, offering blues instruction in harmonica, guitar, mandolin, fiddle, and accordion, catering to all skill levels. And if you’re not inclined towards instrumental lessons, our daily gospel choir sessions offer an alternative way to participate and perform during our Saturday Night Concert.
- Please take a moment to complete this Google Form to apply
- Required information includes:
- Personal information (address, phone, email)
- Brief summary of your artistic background
- Goals for the residency
- Letter of support/recommendation
- Website or social links highlighting your work
- If not active online, please email your CV, portfolio, and samples of work, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Lagniappe Idea: In the spirit of paying it forward, we ask applicants to contribute to our vibrant community through a project known as “Community Lagniappe.” This can be in the form of a reading, workshop, presentation, or art show. We value simple contributions that enrich our community spirit.
What is offered:
For this transformative artistic experience at The Whirlybird Compound, the total cost of the residency to the artist is $1,500.
This fee covers your accommodations and includes:
- a private bedroom with full bed
- bathroom amenities
- access to a shared kitchen (from Oct. 11 through the morning of the 18th, and, the evening of Oct 22 through departure on the 25th)
- Nourishing meals – breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner will be provided during the Summit (Oct 18-22) and prepared by our master Cajun Chef. Any special dietary needs will be considered.
- access to our inspiring facilities. A working studio space for rehearsal or your creative practice.
- All access, services, and full participation in Blown Away On The Bayou Blues Summit. Participation fee + food of $750 is fully covered by The Whirlybird Residency.
The selected artist is responsible for:
- All travel to and from residency
- Transportation for any engagements taking place off-property
- Providing food from arrival on Oct. 11 through the morning of Oct 18, and, the evening of Oct 22 through departure on Oct 25. (Christy & Jim offer shopping trip transportation)
Artists are expected to follow the Whirlybird Compound rules, which are simple:
- no pets
- no non-working partners
- no indoor smoking
- no alterations to the property.
Additional Community Connections:
We’re also thrilled to share that Festivals Acadiens et Créoles, a vibrant celebration of French Louisiana’s music, culture, and traditions, will coincide with our residency from October 13 to October 15. This longstanding festival, a cornerstone of Acadiana’s cultural tapestry since 1974, adds an extra layer of immersion and inspiration to your creative experience. Don’t miss this unique opportunity to engage with the rich heritage of the region while pursuing your artistic aspirations.
We eagerly await your application, which can be submitted by September 25, 2023. Join us at The Whirlybird Compound Artist Residency Program, where your artistic journey will be celebrated and supported in an enriching and culturally immersive environment.
For additional information, please feel free to contact us!